Go back to normal view
Blenheim Crescent Baptist Church began as a result of the realisation by the Bedfordshire Union of Baptist and Congregational Churches, in 1926, that a need for new work in the growing suburbs of Luton was becoming evident. A plot of land in Blenheim Crescent was subsequently identified and the work began.
Much work progressed until on 14th February 1937 a dozen enthusiasts met at 47 Blenheim Crescent and the church was born. The pioneers met initially in homes and decided later to build a church. The building work began on 9th June of the same year, and the Opening Ceremony and Services were held on the weekend of 25th and 26th September.
The 1937 building served as the church's worship centre until 1961 when Sir Herbert Janes, a long time supporter of the church, opened the present building slightly ahead of the 25th Anniversary. Plans for this building had been submitted in 1958.